Moving To Utah

Your online guide in assistance in moving to Utah. 

Quick Reference for Utah Newcomers:

 Getting a Driver License

Every resident of Utah who drives a motor vehicle must have a valid Utah license, learner permit, or temporary permit. Persons become residents if they:

  • Enter the state with the intention of making Utah their home.
  • Are gainfully employed in Utah. (Does not apply if you are on temporary assignment in the State.)

For more detailed information contact the Department of Public Safety's Drivers License Division

Where to Obtain a License

Drivers License field offices are located throughout the state. Visit the Drivers License Division site or call (801) 965-4437 to find the station nearest you.

Acceptable Identification

When you first apply for a Utah driver license, you must provide proof of name, date and place of birth, and your social security number. Items on the following lists are generally acceptable as proof. At least one form must be from the list of Primary Forms of Identification.

NOTE: The full legal name, as it appears on the primary document, must appear on the driver license or identification card. Primary Forms of Identification are:

  • Certification of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Delayed Birth Certificate*
  • Driver License issued in the U.S.
  • Foreign Birth Certificate with Notarized Translation*
  • Foreign Passport with VISA stamped of attached I-94 Card of INS I-551 Card
  • Indian Blood Certificate
  • Matricular Consular/ID Resident Alien Card
  • U.S. Birth Certificate*
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad*
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military ID Card or DD-214

*NOTE: Hospital records/certificates will not be accepted.  

Registering Your Vehicle in Utah

When a person or business establishes residency in Utah and brings a vehicle from out of state, they are required to pay the appropriate fee within 30 days unless all property taxes or fees imposed by the state they moved from have been paid for the current year.

For more information contact: Tax Commission Motor Vehicle Division 210 North 1950 West Salt Lake City, Utah 84134 (801) 297-7780 1-800-DMV-UTAH

Most Utah motor vehicles are subject to either an age-based uniform fee or a 1.5 percent uniform fee that must be paid before the vehicle can be registered in Utah. The following provides a brief explanation of these two fees, including how they are calculated and collected.

Uniform Fee
The age-based uniform fee is determined by the age of the vehicle. Vehicles subject to the age-based uniform fee are:

1.5 Percent Uniform Fee
The 1.5 percent uniform fee is 1.5 percent multiplied by the taxable value of the vehicle. Vehicles subject to the 1.5 percent uniform fee are:

What are the fees for motor vehicle registration?

The standard plate and title fee for a passenger car or light truck is $35.50.

The standard fee to renew the registration of a passenger car or light truck is $24.50.

Personal property tax is assessed yearly by local county assessors; the tax is 1.7 percent of your vehicle's depreciated cost new as determined by your county assessor.

Trucks being registered over 12,000 pounds require additional registration fees based on the declared gross weight.

Newly purchased vehicles require payment of sales tax; the sales tax is based on the purchase price of the vehicle. The rate varies from county to county.  

State Taxes and Fees

The state sales tax rate is 4.75 percent effective July 1, 1997.

The Utah State Tax Commission provides comprehensive tables for all taxes the state collects. Look up the current income, sales, motor vehicle, fuel and property taxes as well as other fees.

Related Topics